NY-bet.com brings you the latest news from the big four leagues regarding COVID-19
The NFL made a pair of announcements regarding the Coronavirus pandemic that is currently affecting the United States. First the league sent out a news release stating the NFL Draft will go on as scheduled in Las Vegas and will still be televised, but the annual selection process will not include public events. The league also sent out a memo to teams that indefinitely postpones players from participating in off-season training activities. According to Roger Goodell, the decision to cancel public events was made in collaboration with the CDC and Las Vegas public authorities.
Earlier today, Major League Baseball announced that it will be reportedly pushing back the start of the 2020 regular season to mid-May at the earliest. The decision comes after recommendations were made by the CDC on Sunday to avoid gatherings of 50 people or more. The league had previously moved the start of the MLB Season back to March 26th. According to a statement released by Major League Baseball, “…it will keep fans updated on decisions regarding plans for the 2020 schedule in the days and weeks ahead…” The MLB decided to suspend all Spring Training games this past Thursday.
Donovan Mitchell, one of the NBA players who tested positive for the Coronavirus, has said that he has not yet experienced any symptoms of COVID-19. Mitchell appeared on “Good Morning America” earlier today in his first public interview since being diagnosed with the Coronavirus on March 12th. Mitchell is one of two NBA players that have tested positive for COVID-19, including Utah Jazz teammate Rudy Gobert.
Earlier today, the NHL released a memo to teams stating players can return to their homes outside of their franchises’ cities. In the memo, the NHL also said players should self-quarantine for about two weeks. The league has said it will consider re-opening team facilities following the self-quarantine period, which runs through March 27th.